The music of Holm Legacy Publishing is intended to be enjoyed by both performers and listeners. We offer music that is meaningful, interesting, beautiful, and useful. Original compositions include music for orchestra, choir, string quartet, flute, and various chamber ensembles.
Contact Barbara Holm about commissioning a piece for a particular ensemble or special occasion.
About Barbara Anne Koenen Holm:
She received a Master of Music degree in Flute Performance from The Boston Conservatory in 1990. She began composition studies with Larry Bell of Boston. After moving back to Minnesota she studied with Chris Granias at the MacPhail School of Music in Minneapolis and also with Carol Barnett. She continues to be an active composer, arranger, teacher, and performer in many ensembles, which have included The Metropolitan Wind Symphony of Boston, The St. Paul Civic Symphony, The Highland Park Trio, and The Legacy Ensemble. Her philosophy of music is that a composition should offer a meaningful experience to both the performer and the listener.
- A new quartet for four flutes, "Prelude and Fugue in G Major" by B.A.K. Holm, commissioned by the Upper Midwest Flute Association will be premiered April 9, at the Flute Fest at Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis, MN
- "Teach Me, Dear Lord", a 2-pt choral anthem with piano and optional flute by B.A.K. Holm, was premiered February 28, 2016 at Church of the Savior in Paramus, New Jersey.
- "Overture" was performed by The Laredo Philharmonic on November 15, 2013, in Laredo, Texas.
- Instrumental Selections from the H. Purcell opera "The Fairy Queen" were performed at the April 7, 2013 recital of The Legacy Ensemble
- "Tucson Suite" was premiered by The Legacy Ensemble on April 22, 2012 at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. Also included in the program was the premiere performance of "Fun Fugue" for piano, and "The Windhover" for high voice and piano.
- "Prayer of Saint Anselm" for flute and organ was premiered April 29, 2011, at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- ORCHESTRA PREMIERE:
"Overture" was premiered February 20, 2011,
by the Saint Paul Civic Symphony,
Jeffrey Stirling conducting.
- "Prelude and Fugue In G Major", four C flutes, by B.A.K. Holm
- "Teach Me, Dear Lord", 2-pt choral, piano, optional flute by B.A.K. Holm
- "Children of the Heavenly Father" , a cantata for SATB, 2 cl, bn, hn, and strings by B.A.K. Holm
- Selections from "The Fairy Queen" by H. Purcell
14 instrumental pieces arranged for flute, violin, and cello by B.A.K. Holm
- "Tucson Suite" for flute, violin, and cello by B.A.K. Holm
Most are done for flute, violin, and cello, taking into consideration the unique qualities, ranges, and possibilities of each. They include easier pieces (“Four Scandinavian Folk Songs”) to very challenging and complete works (“Trio in E flat” of Mozart) The quality of the original music, the suitable arrangement, the legible notation, and the carefully thought out page turns, make these trios a joy to play for many types of performances. The Legacy Ensemble has enjoyed adding these to their repertoire, and hopefully you will like them as well.
There are also a few arrangements for other combinations of instruments, and the same care has been taken to make them suitable for the instruments involved.